Thi Lor Su Waterfall
The largest and highest waterfall in Thailand
The Thi Lo Su Waterfall is claimed to be the largest and highest waterfall in Thailand. It stands 250 metres high and nearly 450 metres wide on the Mae Klong River, flowing down from Huai Klotho into the Umphang Wildlife Sanctuary in Tak Province Thailand.
In Karen language, which is spoken by a minority in Thailand, ‘Thi Lo Su’ means “giant” or “black waterfall”. It is located on the top of big limestone mountains at 900 meters above sea level spilling water onto three main waterfall landings or levels from a height of 300 meters with a width of 500 meters. Upon entering the reserve, the walkway starts with a surrounding of grasslands and then slowly transforms into looming trees. There, the camping spot can be seen, and a 1.5 km-pathway surrounded by mixed deciduous forest and bamboo grove leads visitors to their destination. During the walk, visitors will find plant species labels providing a variety of fascinating information and at the end of the path is a viewing platform of 300 m high and 500 m wide waterfall running down from a giant limestone cliff. There are three main waterfall landings or levels, so each ascent will be worth the effort. The first level (when facing the waterfall) is the largest and most beautiful of all levels with many falls over it. At the second level, the waterfall above is narrower and higher. While the third level is overlooking the second level with more water, although slightly having lower cliff. All in all, it is a very scenic place, surrounded by lush green forest and an abundance of nature. On the other side of the waterfall, a large viewing platform where you can take in several tiers at once sits at the end of the main trail. To leave the waterfall, it will take one hour back to the main entrance.
During the wet season from June to October Thi Lor Su is spectacular. Visitors can travel to Thi Lor Su waterfall by taking inflatable boat from Mae Klong River through Um Phang district. There is an exciting river leading visitor to the destination providing unique views along the way. During the journey, visitor will pass hot spring and approach “Namtok Sai Rung”. The highlight is a strikingly beautiful rainbow when the sun shines on it. With luscious and beautiful scenic jungle for visitors to admire along the way, the beauty of Pa Leud Cliff, Pa Bong Cliff, and Pa Hwo cliff will also be appreciated. After taking approximately three amazing hours of boat trip, visitors will continue enjoying their 9 kilometer-trekking to the camping area in Umphang Wildlife Sanctuary. No vehicles are allowed in the area. Visitors will adventurously have fun walking on slippery slopes and steep hills until reaching the destination. They will have time to take a break before taking another 1.5 km trekking to finally reach Thi Lor Su waterfall. During this period, due to large amount of rainfall, the water stream and fall gets larger and bigger making the waterfall even more beautiful while the forest turns green and river water changes into light brown. Trekkers who love adventure travel will definitely be satisfied.
Day 1: Bangkok-Hup Pa Tat Cave-Maesot Tak
- 04:00am. pick up from hotel in Bangkok
- Heading to Northern Thailand, the journey takes 3-4 hours on the way can drop for coffee & breakfast
- 08:30am. approx., arrive the unseen nature of Hup Pa Tat Cave.
- Hup Pa Tat, a large valley stretching over an area of about 48,000 square meters. Part of the lime stone mountain range surrounding the valley is Khao Huai Suk which is connected to Khao Plara Mountain, about 1 kilometers away. The way up to the valley’s Tham Huo Pa Tat cave is covered by a margosa forest. The cave entrance is dark, but after 100 meters walk, you will emerge from the darkness to see the way down into the valley. The surrounding limestone mountain is layered with high cliffs that prevent sunlight from reaching the ground during any time other than midday. The resulting humidity has contributed to a wealth of flora, featuring gigantic shrubs of the genus Excoecarianin that are similar to prehistoric trees.
lunch local restuarunt
- Visit Khamphaeng Phet Historical Park a UNESCO-recognized World Heritage Site which is comprised of a diverse array of ancient monuments. A common aesthetic runs through the various ruins, which include temples, pagodas and fallen towns, resulting in a beautiful blend of contemporary Sukhothai and Ayutthaya styles.
- Straight to Maesot, Tak Province
- 05:00pm. arrive Maesot
- Check in hotel
- Overnight Maesot
Day 2: Mae Sot- Um Phang City
- Um Phang Wildlife Sanctuary Part of the territory covered by the Um Phang Wildlife Sanctuary is a traditional area of Karen, Hmong, Lisu, Mien and Lahu tribes. The main town – Um Phang (outside of the sanctuary) – is predominantly Karen. There are many hill tribe’s villages scattered in the countryside surrounding Um Phang town. Um Phang is accessible by road from Mae Sot through spectacular mountains
08:00am. After breakfast, the journey takes 3-4 hours due to the long distance and then we drove through 1219 curves to Umphang
- On the way, we drop at Thararak Waterfall first
- Next stop at Phacharoen waterfall
- 04:00pm. arrive Um Phang City
- Check in resort
- Free and easy
- Overnight Um Phang City
Day 3: Thi Lor Su Waterfall
- Thi Lor Su waterfall is the waterfall that well known about it beautiful some said this waterfall is the most beautiful waterfall in Thailand. Thi Lor Su Waterfall is a limestone waterfall with a height of 300 meters and a width of about 500 meters, located in Um Phang Wildlife Sanctuary, Um Phang District, Tak Province. The waterfall is a stream of water flowing from Huay Cot Thuot through the creek that flows through the steep cliffs. A loud rumbling sound in the rainforest.
- 08:00am. Breakfast at the resort then meet up with our local guides for briefing and start of the tour.
- Rafting along the Mae Klong Yai River in inflatable dinghy.
- drop off for lunch and bathe at a natural hot spring next to the river.
Dry Season (Oct-May) Take 4wd car to Thi Lor Su Waterfall.
Rainy Season (June – Sep) Rainy season is more waterfall but it’s more adventure! Trekking for 2-3 hours to Thi Lo Su Waterfall
*Ask us for more details*
- Visit Thi Lor Su Waterfall, Thailand’s largest waterfall. enjoying your time to swim and sight-see at this natural wonder hidden deep in the jungle.
- Just after nightfall at 06:30pm a jungle dinner will be prepared by our local guides. We can provide special meals if required.
- Sleep in tents at Thi Lor Su camping ground.
- Overnight camping ground.
Day 4: Thi Lor Su Waterfall
- After breakfast at the camp then freshen up at Thi Lor Su Waterfall, if you are feeling energetic you can take an adventurous walk to the top of the falls with our local guides.
- Jungle trekking for 3-4 hours from Thi Lor Su waterfall to Kho Tha Karen village.
Relax at the village, you can take an optional short trek to the very beautiful Kho Tha Waterfall, this waterfall is not visited by many but is well worth a visit.
- Visit the village school and meet the wonderful children who grow up in this remote part of Thailand.
- Have dinner and spend the night in the village with a local family in a traditional wooden house.
- Overnight Homestay
Day 5: Um Phang-Mae Sot- Bangkok
- After breakfast at the village and say goodbye local people
- Heading trek through the jungle ending at Mae La Moong which is a junction on the Mae Klong River
- Travel by pick-up truck 4Wd back to Um Phang town
- Now you have chance to take a shower at our guesthouse
- Say goodbye to our local guides
- Drive back to Mae Sot city
- However, you can have combined trip to Chiang Mai *Ask us for more details*
- 04:00am. Arrive Bangkok safe and sound
- End of trip
**The trip can change by appropriate**
✅Private tour as indicated in itinerary
✅4 nights’ accommodation with ABF as indicated in itinerary
✅Experienced Driver Guide English Speaking
✅All admission fees and tickets as indicated in itinerary
✅Meals: Lunch, Dinner on (Day 3-4)
✅National Park entrance fees
✅All transfers and taxes
Not Inclusive Of
❌Surcharge single supplement THB 1,000/night/room
❌Tour Guide (optional add on)
❌Items of a personal nature
❌Any services non-mentioned in the itinerary
- For children, less than 4 years old will be Free of charge
- For children 4-11 years old we charge 75% of adult price
- For children over 11 years old we charge normal price
We believe that our clients should have the freedom to determine their own food preferences, styles and tastes, so we do not pre-arrange meals at pre-set restaurants in case we guess wrong. Instead, we want to listen to you first before recommending what we feel to be the best restaurant for you.
Accommodation for 4 nights.
✅ 1 night in hotel in Maesot at Fortune D Hotel Maesot or similar
✅ 1 night in guesthouse at Umphangburi resort or similar
✅ 1 night camping at Thi Lor Su
✅ 1 night at Karen village homestay.
✅ All camping equipment is provided by us including sleeping bags.
✅ All meals and drinking water as detailed in the itinerary section of this page. We can provide you with special meals if required e.g vegetarian or gluten free.
✅Trip is a private tour with a driver English speaking and vehicle provided
✅Trip Inclusive of Accommodation with breakfast 4 Nights
✅Trip Inclusive of all admission fees and tickets as indicated in itinerary
❌Trip not Inclusive of Meal, Alcoholic drinks, Activities, Optional tour
❌Tour Guide available upon request (English/Chinese) THB2,500/DAY
PRICE OF PRIVATE GROUP TYPE
WHY SHOULD I CHOOSE THAILAND DRIVER GUIDE?
Flexible & Customizable